[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 5 22:15:36 UTC 2008

Quenten Griffith wrote:
> Thank you for your quick reply.  I have Time Warner cable so the basic
> 125 channels of cable would be on the coax.  From what I understand you
> don't need the Time Warner box to get those, but you need it to get the
> HDTV and "On Demand" channels.  The reason I don't want to get yet
> another cable box is becaue they charge around 10 bucks a month per
> box.  What digital tvtuner card are you using?

With an analog capture card you will receive the same channels that you
can receive by connecting an (analog) TV set directly to the cable
system. If you need an STB to receive a given channel on your TV, then
you will need one to capture it. There are no capture devices on the
(legal) market that will decrypt anything.

beww