[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:18:05 UTC 2008

Kevin Bailey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:18:15AM -0400, Jake wrote:
>> basically yes.  if you are recording hd it will need to be transcode
>> to sd.
>
> That's a nice little unit. Anyone know if there's an HD-MVP
> in the works ?

People are working on porting the mvpmc software to a more powerful box that
will do HD.   I don't think the software is there yet, the new device is
$150-$170 I think, but will probably go down.

Most of the HD set-top boxes don't have open documentation about how to use the
hardware acceleration stuff (and the NDA's typically don't allow distribution of
the source code produced with the NDA information), and most of the HD boxes
don't have enough of their own CPU to do HD without the hardware acceleration,
so that makes most of the HD stuff on the market not suitable for Linux.

                           Roger