[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:27:01 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 9:01 PM, <mythtv at corwyn.net> wrote:
>
>> If all you want is a simple front end, buy a Haupptpage MediaMVP.
>> Wireless, comes with remote, ~$50 wired, $80 wireless. I'm running
>> two and love them.
>>
>> At 12:53 AM 9/3/2008, Bobby Gill wrote:
>>> Few questions about running multiple frontends and wired/wireless.
>>>
>>> I currently run my backend off a server in the basement and my
>>> frontend is my computer LCD monitor in a room upstairs, all works
>>> fine. Now if I have an actual TV in another room upstairs, how
>>> exactly would I turn it into a frontend? My limited knowledge has me
>>> guessing an S-Video connection to the backend in the basement? But
>>> that doesn't sound right (do they even make s-video cables that
>>> would be long enough?). How exactly is this done? And I'm talking
>>> analog cable TV, and a regular ol' TV no bigger than 30".
>>>
>>> Also, if I wanted to get the frontend going on a laptop upstairs,
>>> what's the experience with wireless? Of course ours would be a
>>> private home network with the laptop being the only wireless
>>> connection. Surely wired is preferrable but is wireless sufficient
>>> to allow for relatively smooth frontend playback (in terms of
>>> network speed/access)??
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Bob
>

> Am I correct that the MVP will not play a recording that came from a ATSC
> source?  I get 6GB per hour which I think is 13Mb/s and the MVP is specked
> to 8Mbps.   So, one would need to transcode it but personally, my files
> don't get smaller when I transcode. I probably don't have the right settings
> but can't find a reference to the right settings so have not spent the time
> experimenting.

Allen,

I have a script that does proper transcoding for the mvp, that should for the
most part work, if it does not, you send me the output of the script and I will
see what changes need to be made to make it work correctly.   It will typically
reduce a 6GB ATSC at 1080i or 720p to about 1GB 480i mpeg2/mp3 recording that
will work properly on the mvp.

If you have a mvp and would like the script please email me.   The script is
posted on the mvp web site.

                        Roger