[mythtv-users] Hauppage Analog Cards, alternatives?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 12:38:32 UTC 2008

On 9/3/08, Jeff Holicky <myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > 500 (x50/500[/MCE]) units be phased out BECAUSE of the FCC?  The HVR
>> > seems to still use that old school analogue 125 channel input - so what
>> > is that all about?  Or is Hauppauge merely using the FCC notice as a
>> > method to phase out those units for newer ones?
>>
>> The HVR series can do analog and digital so are fine as far as the FCC
>> is concerned. The PVR series is analog only only, so the FCC has told
>> Hauppage to stop producing those...
>>
>> > Which now leads me to this - not sure at this date if any of the HVR
>> > units are supported (properly) by Myth.  I am starting to look for the
>> > 150-500 cards and already finding it hard to get a 250.  About 6m ago I
>> > asked and many suggested the 250 over the x50/500 was the better way to
>> > go.  I want to start with 2 set top boxes and eventually to 4 (could be
>> > 2x250 or 4x250 or 2x250, 2xHDHR etc etc).  Now what?
>>
>> Some of the HVR units are partially supported under MythTV. With a
>> number of digital TV tuner card one finds the digital TV support to be
>> good/excellent but support for the analog section of the card to be
>> poor/no-existant. This is true with my pcHDTV-5500 card, excellent
>> digital support under linux, but the analog section...
>>
>> > The other negative is the capital to get this all going properly - I was
>> > actually thinking of getting a retail 150 or 250 to hookup under WinXP
>> > until I am ready to move to the Myth system - but even that is a problem
>> > it seems.  Some suggest "instead of a 150/500 get the 150MCE / 500MCE" -
>> > I assume that works well with Myth but seeing as I am not running MCE -
>> > I assume my WinXP would not support those cards.  True?
>> >
>> > So big picture - anybody know of a game plan I should take - should I be
>> > waiting until the HVR cards are more mature wrt Myth/Linux development?
>> > Will I be able to buy 2 HVR cards and still record SD programming as I
>> > would with the x50/500 series?  (once the drivers are working well)?
>> >
>> > Sounds like getting an older x50/500 series card is not the right move
>> > today as I am buying legacy/future unsupported hardware.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> If you get you TV via cable then for the forseeable future your good
>> with the PVR series cards (in fact collect them while you can). As for
>> digital cards, great stuff if you are in range of at least one over
>> the air digital TV station (GREAT picture quality). What messes things
>> up is the cable companies, if your local cable company scrambles
>> EVERYTHING then any digital tuner card is irrelevant when it comes to
>> cable TV (sigh).
>>
>> > Thanks
>> > jeff
>>
>> Colin McGregor
>

> Thanks to Kevin and yourself Colin for explaining the FCC related
> changes.  A buddy told me there is a "commercial broadcast" flag concept
> being floated around - to allow cable company PVRs to record but not
> home brew systems.  As Hammy Hamster would say "... but that's another

One of the selling points for me on the pcHDTV-5500 card was that it
ignores the broadcast flag. Any device that honours the broadcast flag
will not record stuff, if the broadcaster has set a signal for that
with the TV signal.

> I see you post to the Toronto thread - I live in Richmond Hill and use
> Ted Rogers (mind the sarcastic smile).  Are you suggesting Ted scrambles
> everything? :P

Rogers scrambles ALL digital signals in Toronto, and I gather most if
not all of the other places in which they operate in Canada :-( .

> Hopefully I can get some assistance to point me in the right direction
> of the PVR card to get - based on the limited offerings.
>
> 1) I would prefer getting one or more PVR 250 cards, if I can get them -
> I have read that they seem to offer better quality over the 150.

I have been happy with my PVR-150 card. No big secret, the PVR-150 was
intended to be a cost reduced version of the PVR-250.

> 2) My initial thought was that the 500 was merely 2x150 but at a reduced
> cost.  But I am seeing (please correct me) that the 500 is OKAY for --
> (a) unencrypted digital streams - where the dual tuner splits the signal
> from ONE coax in; or (b) straight non-digital analogue cable - whereby
> instead of having to have a splitter and plug 2 coax in the card, it
> takes one coax for the 2 tuners.

The PVR-500 (like the rest of the PVR series) can not deal with a
digital signal, these are analog only cards.

> My ultimate goal is up to 4 digital boxes - with say S-VIDEO (or best
> offering) out of the boxes.  If I could snap my fingers I'd have 4 SD
> tuners today.  I have a SD PVR from Rogers so I like the dual tuner
> ability; plus we have the single box.  No need for any HD yet.

The number of tuners you have in a MythTV box is only limited by the
number of expansion slots (and devices like the HDHomeRun allow you to
add some external tuners to a MythTV box). So for example I have a
PVR-150, PVR-350 and a pcHDTV-5500 all in one box and I still have two
free expansion slots that could take two more tuners :-) .

> I seem to have read that the 500 used to (on their website) have an
> extra header that provided a SECOND S-VIDEO IN.  In theory this card
> would be OKAY if I could plug in TWO S-VIDEO connectors.  Not sure if
> this can be confirmed or not.  Having a 500 and no extra header though
> would be a bother.
>
> 3) My next thought is the 350 - except it contains TV OUT (at a
> premium).  If in the end the 350 sits in the basement in a backend, why
> would i need that?  The only other thought is - as a stop gap before I
> get Myth going, the 350 would be good - under windows recording.

I have a PVR-350, long and strange story (which is not likely to be
repeated), but I got it as a freebee. I am using the 350 as just a TV
tuner card and I am ignoring the video out part of that card. If you
can get a PVR-350 for the same price (or less) than a PVR-250 or
PVR-150 grab it, as it is an excellent analog tuner. There are issues
with the video out section of the PVR-350 card and not worth the
bother in my books. Rather that use the video out on the PVR-350 I
would just get a low end nVidia GeForce card...

> 4) Leaves me (assuming I cannot get the 250) with getting the PVR-150
> card - say 2-3 of them for my needs.  As suggested I should be getting
> them now.
> The retail 150 includes an IR BLASTER as well - still haven't figured
> out if that is a bonus for Myth or merely a waste if I get LIRC
> available (a few 3rd parties offer LIRC connectors I have seen).  (can
> someone confirm this?)  White box OEMs are probably vanilla cards.

IR Blasters are good IF you need to control an external device like a
cable box. IR receivers are good if you want to use a TV type remote
to control your MythTV box...

> Lastly, can either of you clarify the models that are NON-MCE and MCE -
> I get the MCE (media center edition) - but I am not following on whether
> one flavor is better than the other.  I assume there are drivers for
> Linux for both.  What makes MCE better than NON-MCE?  (just a driver
> issue or actual hardware differences).  I assume I should get MCE
> regardless of what model of card I get?
>
> thanks again
> jeff

Colin McGregor