[mythtv-users] Questions about multiple frontends in household

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:37:43 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> Few questions about running multiple frontends and wired/wireless.
>
> I currently run my backend off a server in the basement and my frontend is
> my computer LCD monitor in a room upstairs, all works fine. Now if I have an
> actual TV in another room upstairs, how exactly would I turn it into a
> frontend? My limited knowledge has me guessing an S-Video connection to the
> backend in the basement? But that doesn't sound right (do they even make
> s-video cables that would be long enough?). How exactly is this done? And
> I'm talking analog cable TV, and a regular ol' TV no bigger than 30".

There are s-video and composite punch down ends (and audio punch down ends) that
can be connected to standard cat[56] cable, and can be put into a fairly
standard "quickport" wallplate.

If you have a Home Depot they appear to typically have these in their
network/cable tv section of the store, and while HD is not the cheapest out
there, from my experience they aren't enough more expensive to go elsewhere.

The S-video/composite+audioL+R set costs $16 for the set and if one is careful
about drilling the holes can be done in most walls cleanly.  The you just need a
plate and the cat5 cable.

I have ran several of these in my house and they work fine, I have typically
been putting a RJ45 in the wall and then running that to a "box" with a RJ45 and
the composite or svideo and audio+L/R split out there and connected to the wall
with a RJ45 cable.    I do the same on the other end, just so I can easily
rearrange things (what was video yesterday, can easily be network tomorrow by
just moving the cables around on each end).

                                 Roger