[mythtv-users] Navigating the hardware mine field

Pierre Hilson zorglups.mailing at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:40:29 UTC 2008

I built my first MythTV system a few weeks ago on top of a fanless Intel
D201GLY2 mobo and I'm quite happy with it.

ITX
=> This is mini-ITX but fits in ITX cases

fanless
=> I run it TOTALY Fanless in an "homemade opencase"... Just hear the
silence. The power supply is a pico-PSU.

diskless
=> I run with my OS on a Samsung 2.5" SATA and a big fat 3.5" IDE drive. I
do spin down the drives using laptop-mode. The big drive will spin up only
when I'm reading a divx or looking at my photo album.

SD only
=> I do use a PVR-150 to record SD. I plan to try DVBS-2.

TV out (S-VIDEO will do)
=> Mine is a D201GLY2. If you need S-Video, look after D201GLY2T.
The D201GLY2TA is a third one with active cooling so be careful at what you
choose.

Smooth operation
=> I'm just amazed to be able to record a show while transcoding a DVD to
DivX and watching at the same time another DivX !!!  All is  so well managed
by mythtv !!!

I'm NOT bothered at the moment about:

HD
=> I think this won't be powerfull enought but this would be useless if you
plan to use an s-video cnx.

3D Visualisation
=> The stock sis driver does not work. There is nevertheless drivers working
fine with 2D acceleration.
http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/WikiBerd/index.php?page=LinuxSis67x

I point that was annoying is the fact that there is only one PCI slot
available. I found people reporting successful use of an active pce riser
cage to get a second PCI slot.

I wish you a nice hunting.
Make 100% sure your components will all be supported by the distribution you
choose.

Best regards,

Pierre