[mythtv-users] EXT3 on Software RAID5 optimization

r2d2 r2d2z4j6y8 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:44:52 UTC 2008

As I had some trouble on my recording storage (JFS/LVM2/RAID5), I decided to
recreate my storage with a ext3 fs on raid5 (mdadm).
I know that ext3 isn't the most efficient filesystem for this purpose, I
don't want to use JFS anymore and I also read some messages talking about
trouble with XFS.

I think it is quite difficult to align ext3, lvm2 and mdadm for best
performance, so I choose to give up using lvm2.

Which is the best chunk size for arrays ?

For ext3 creation,
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.11mention setting
--stride option.

I also know about
-T largefile4 and -T largefile for big files
-m 0

Another thread has been initiated on "optimal ext2fs formatting for
recordings"* *(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/347878)
but doesn't focus on creating ext3 fs on raid5.

Is there other options I should set ?

Kind regards.