[mythtv-users] Fall cable reruns and mythTV

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 23:17:47 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 9/2/08, mons37318 at mypacks.net <mons37318 at mypacks.net> wrote:

> From: mons37318 at mypacks.net <mons37318 at mypacks.net>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Fall cable reruns and mythTV
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 5:59 PM
> written for a TV site - so replace each instance of
> "DVR" with "mythTV" and adjust
> accordingly (I do have a Pilot search, but it onlt catches
> real first run pilots AFAIK)
>
> ----
>
> each fall (and other times during the season) not only do
> the networks start to air their new "season" but
> also, I've noticed, the indies and the cable nets start
> airing "new" reruns of series they have not yet
> rerun before.
>
> Is there any rhyme or reason (or date) for this or any way
> to figure out what's out there in rerunland, other that
> putting random searches in your DVR and waiting...? (which
> only works if you know what you are looking for)
>
> TVLand is starting something they say caters to people in
> the 50's and (some other decade) but the only thing that
> remotely interests me of their new offerings is Scrubs.
> FX restarted the Practice recently and SciFi Joan of
> Arcadia - I found out around episode 4. (Calista
> Flockhart's Ally crossover set off one of my searches,
> my roommate watches SciFi a lot, but not enough for me to
> catch on before ep 4)
>
> DVRing gets rid of a lot of channel surfing, gets rid of a
> good amount of knowing what cable networks are airing and i
> prefer not jumping in ep 4 of something i missed (or failed
> to keep) the first time
>
> thanks for any advice or even guesses

Not real clear on what your question is.
afaict, MythTV (for me, anyway) finds all unrecorded episodes of a scheduled program without regard for the channel/network it airs on.
Star Trek TNG is a good example. I thought I got them all but occasionally one will come around that wasn't recorded yet and show up in recorded programs.
A rule I set up two years ago...
I missed a couple part twos of 'Enterprise' and they were recently picked up. Since when I deleted the part ones I allowed to re record, both were re recorded.
MythTV stores them in series order so following the story line(s) is QED.

This time of year, networks and syndicates will rerun episodes prior to season premiers so I'll clear the 'recorded' and let MythTV grab the whole season to enjoy again before the new ones begin. (counting the days 'til House premiers...)