[mythtv-users] Motherboards: help me understand my choices

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 19:23:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Sixten Otto <himself+myth at sfko.com> wrote:
> After doing some more reading on the Intel options (after such vocal
> support for their stuff), it sounds like the G45 boards would pretty
> much exactly fill the niche I'm looking for, such as the ASUS P5Q-EM.
>
> The biggest issue I've seen seems to be their comparative novelty.
> They haven't been out long, and there aren't that many choices yet
> (and none < $100). Until 8.10 lands, the graphics support won't really
> be there in the official packages; I'd have to compile all of that
> myself (which doesn't sound like much fun). On the other hand, I can't
> see myself pulling the trigger on buying this stuff for another month,
> anyway.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that chipset yet, or have strong
> reasons why I'd want to stick to something older (like the G31, or P35
> + discrete graphics)?

that chipset 'appears' to have a lot of promise.  and i'm sure it will
deliver once there are drivers for it. :)  the nice thing is that
Intel has committed to providing drivers, or at least source/specs so
they can be written for Linux.  hopefully sooner rather than later.
i have the G35 chipset in a system that i'm setting up and am awaiting
full featured drivers as well...

--
Andrew Close