[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Tue Sep 2 17:14:24 UTC 2008

> So I'm thinking I could just buy six external drive enclosures, either
> USB or Firewire, and install the drives in those.
>
> Has anyone done anything similar to this, and if so, what is your experience?
> Does anyone else have any other suggestions that I may not have thought of?

I did this for awhile. I had a 5 drive RAID5 array over two USB buses (one on the motherboard and one in the PCI bus). It worked for SD, with two front ends watching at the same time, and a recording going on. Still, I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. Firewire may be a better choice, across a couple of firewire cards.

Gerald