[mythtv-users] VIDIOCMCAPTURE0: Device or resource busy

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:52:49 UTC 2008

> I have a bttv card and experienced the problem with kernel 2.6.25 and
> 2.6.26 which stopped me using them with MythTV.  Because of this I
> switched back to 2.6.24 which was fine.  When this patch came out I
> tried it and at first it seemed to work; I could upgrade to kernel
> 2.6.26 and record with MythTV.
>
> After a while though I realised that the recordings were poor quality.
> During playback there were frames displayed at the wrong time, these
> are most easily seen when editing a recording.  For example I saw that
> one interlaced field in a frame should actually have been about 7
> frames earlier (estimating from a fast moving picture).  This occurs
> every second or so (it isn't regular) and only causes a visual
> disturbance with fast moving scenes.  The problem was definitely in
> the recorded data, not playback.
>
> Since switching back to kernel 2.6.24 and backing out the patch
> everything seems to be back to normal.

Interesting.  I haven't noticed anything like that and have made more
than a few recordings with the bttv card since upgrading to 2.6.26.
What encoding options are you using for the bttv recordings?  I admit
I haven't taken a close look at any of the recordings, but I haven't
noticed any glitches in typical playback.  Long ago I do remember
turning some of the more CPU demanding options on in the mpeg4
recording profile when I initially set up the card, so its possible
that may affect this.  I'll take a closer look at some of my
recordings and see if there is anything similar.

--David Madsen