[mythtv-users] HD Homerun possible to capture stream with no mythtv installed yet?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 2 15:49:44 UTC 2008

diane mittnik wrote:
> I haven't spec'd out a computer yet for mythtv.  I was waiting for AMD to
> release some faster phenoms that are low-power (65 watt), but so far 1.8 GHz
> is it (was waiting for the 2 GHz phenom, 4 core, that was supposed to be
> released in August).  Since another thread on the HD-PVR states that because
> the HD-PVR only does single-slice recording and won't put multiple cores to
> use, therefore requires a high MHz dual-core cpu instead of a lower MHz (and
> lower power cost) but more cores (4) cpu, I've decided to wait (for
> faster/low power cpus coming) rather than commit to ordering parts and
> building a mythtv computer I know I won't be happy with in 6 months.
>
> In the meantime...if I can catch the HDHomerun on sale with free shipping
> again, will it be possible to "record" OTA programs by capturing the stream
> somehow?  Will I also be able to "capture" sound as well?  I'm thinking if I
> can dump the stream to a file by using a cron job to capture the streams
> when the programs I want to record are playing... is this possible?
>
> Is a command line sufficient to capture a video/audio stream and also tune
> the HDHomerun to a certain channel for the capture?  If not, can I pre-tune
> the HDHomerun to a certain channel, capture via a cron job, then manually
> change the channel on the HDHomerun through a command line or other manual
> method to record a different channel...
>
> If possible, this would also allow others who are assembling parts for a
> mythtv computer to start capturing some programs while the computer is being
> assembled or while waiting for other parts to arrive.  Or just to test while
> the mythtv computer is otherwise busy/unavailable.

The answer is "yes, yes, yes and yes" if you can write a commandline script.

If you read the help files for the HDHR, or the instructions as silicon
dust, the hdhr can be set from the command line. You can set it to a
channel using hdhomerunconfig.
Then capture the stream with a cat > file.
Basically you will be doing the setup testing sequence, inside a cron job.
That is how I tested my box, including using vlc to directly tune and
play the stream.

Not difficult, but you *will* have to read the manual closely, to get
all the bits right.

Geoff