[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Sep 2 15:06:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 13:31 -0700, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>         On 08/30/2008 03:00 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>         > I have seen this many times and today my wife had an
>         example.  She
>         > said the remote wasn't working any more.  I came in from the
>         garage
>         > and it wasn't working. I put it down on the table.  Then
>         myth suddenly
>         > responded to at least some, if not all, of my key presses.
>          I tell the
>         > story to give an idea of the time frames involved. She was
>         just
>         > watching a recorded show and wanted to pause it.
>         >
>         > This happens now and then, not every day, but it is not rate
>         either.
>         >
>         > I have a HDHR with the IR Rx on it and a very powerful (high
>         ir
>         > output) programmable remote.  I am running LIRC on a
>         mythbuntu 8.04
>         > updated system.  When it works, it works instantly with no
>         noticeable
>         > delay.
>         >
>         > Any logs I can look in?  Anyone know what causes this?  A
>         cure?
>

>         Got a working real-time clock?  New kernels should be compiled
>         without
>         the rtc module and, instead, should use the rtc-core and an
>         appropriate
>         hardware-specific support (i.e. for PC's using rtc-cmos).  So,
>         if you
>         had previously configured your system to load rtc and it
>         doesn't exist,
>         now, and you haven't updated the configuration, it could cause
>         problems
>         like this.
>
>         Run "hwclock --debug" and see if you get errors.  If so, try
>         "modprobe
>         rtc-cmos" and see if all ("hwclock --debug" and LIRC) works
>         better.
>
>         Mike
>

> dad at myth_desktop:~$ hwclock --debug
> hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.13.1
> Using /dev interface to clock.
> Last drift adjustment done at 1220111053 seconds after 1969
> Last calibration done at 1220111053 seconds after 1969
> Hardware clock is on UTC time
> Assuming hardware clock is kept in UTC time.
> Waiting for clock tick...
> ...got clock tick
> Time read from Hardware Clock: 2008/08/30 20:30:20
> Hw clock time : 2008/08/30 20:30:20 = 1220128220 seconds since 1969
> Sat 30 Aug 2008 01:30:20 PM PDT  -0.045784 seconds
>

> Looks OK to me.  Anything else I should try?
>
> Allen

To add one more data point, my Mythbuntu 8.04 system does (did?) this as
well. Since school has started I have not had time to watch any TV so
have not used the Myth box. I use a MS MCE remote with its included IR
receiver. When it works (almost all the time) it works perfectly. Fast
response and I never seem to have any interference.

I did install all current updates on my Mythbuntu system this weekend. I
do not yet know if that has fixed the problem.

Thanks,
James