[mythtv-users] MythTV Secondary FE/BE Setup Advice

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:48:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:31 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:

> After having Myth running for the better part of two years on one TV I
> have purchased a second Myth box for the other TV in the house. I am
> debating making it a secondary BE/FE or just using it as a FE. My
> current BE/FE machine can only hold two drives (2x 500GB SATA). One
> drive is for recordings and one drive is OS and other media files (DVD
> rips, flac audio, etc).
>
> The new system came with a 500GB SATA drive. Plenty of room for OS
> install, but how do I best utilize the space? I don't watch much TV so I
> don't need it for TV recording space. I would like to use the space for
> storing DVD rips and flac audio. So far I have not found the right
> documentation to tell me how/if space local to a secondary backend can
> be used within Myth. In the documentation it mentions setting the
> storage directories per BE, but I think that only applies to TV
> recording space. I tried to run the video manager on the slave BE and it
> wanted to remove the video files stored on the master BE.
>
> Ideally I would prefer to keep all recording duties on the master BE so
> that the slave BE can be powered off except as needed for watching
> TV/movies. Is there a way to have more media files available to a slave
> BE without causing problems for the master BE?
>
> BTW these are both Mythbuntu 8.04.1 systems if it matters.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> ____

I have a frontend only machine and, while it has a button to import DVD, it
won't do it.  It is missing the transcode engine, which is part of the
backend.  So rule that option out.  I assume you would also need a database
to log the rips as well.  I have not tried it, but a frontend-secondary
backend souds like something to try.

Allen