[mythtv-users] Web based remote controls?

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:27:53 UTC 2008

> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:25:04 -0700
> From: Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Web based remote controls?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

} > not that I have seen such a thing already done but if I were looking
} > for such a functionality I would make a web interface that has a
} > picture
} > of a remote and clickable buttons.
} > using the telnet interface and a cgi script type thing.
}
} You mean like the top hit on google when searching for "mythtv web
} remote"?
} http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/?p=29
}
} Or the second hit which is basically the same functionality, but
} designed to fit the iPhone display?
} http://www.legatissimo.info/node/355
}
} Or maybe the third hit which is a forum message that points to this:
} http://netti.nic.fi/~icewood/mythetomer/index.php

Thanks for the response Brad.

Since June when I tried this the iPhone one is new.   I had tried the
first one in the list above, but couldn't seem to get it configured
properly.  Then I moved on to the rocketremote Phil mentioned.  It
looked like the most promising and most like a remote.  I got stymied
via the telnet interface, there is no way to specify a user and id to
log in with.

The iPhone one almost seems a bit too basic.  A separate page just to
do numbers (which I use often as I typed in a number (of minutes) to
move forward and backwards while watching a recording) seems a bit of
a pain for navigation and speed.  But the iPhone has a small screen
interface.  I will be using a laptop, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The mythetomer wouldn't work since it is not web based and I would
have to remote connect to the machine.  This is for my wife and
daughter to use while our Harmony remote is getting fixed.  So it has
to be nice and easy to use.

I will try the first one again and see where that gets me.

Dave