[mythtv-users] Audio Issues - not myth specific

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 06:00:44 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Jason Gauthier wrote:
> > All,
> >

> >   Make a long story short, I have an ASUS motherboard with C-Media 6501
> > USB (onboard) audio. The audio works, even though the quality is crappy
> > and distorted.  I'm not pursuing it heavily because the main reason I
> > bought this board was the for SPDIF output.  Turns out.. it's not
> supported.
>
> <deletia>
>
> If you can't find a PCI Express device there are USB and Firewire audio
> devices with SPDIF. I don't know about Linux support though.
>
> I have some analog only USB audio devices that I use with some slugs
> (Linksys NSLU2) and they work fine with Linux.
>
> http://www.usb-ware.com/sound-blaster-audigy-2-nx.htm
>
> http://www.silentway.com/tips/equip/io.php
>
> beww

Others recommended USB sound modules to me when I was fighting some issues.
You may want to check the archives over the last 2-3 months.  My posts may
have been under allene.  That said, I have used my USB sound card, which was
actually built into my pre-amp, and it worked without too much trouble once
I figured out how to set USB as the default audio device.  There is some
command I can't remember that tells you what the USB card is called and
another to set it as default.  If you can't find it, ask again and either I
will try and find it or someone else that knows off the top of their head
will help you out.

Allen