[mythtv-users] Motherboards: help me understand my choices

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 1 00:41:26 UTC 2008

Owen Townend wrote:

> It's a cheap, everything onboard mATX board which _should_ be perfect
> for a frontend (HDMI audio+video, optical spdif, HDMI+dsub dual
> screen, eSATA, gigabit, etc, etc) but it is let down (slightly) by
> graphics driver support which though AMD has come a long way very
> quickly with linux support (kudos!), but there's still more work to be
> done...

I agree AMD is doing well with Linux support, but remember that AMD
recently bought ATI, so it would be reasonable to assume that they will
concentrate on those graphics units.

Since ATI support is not as good as nVidia, it means that the AMD
takeover of ATI will have the effect of slowing Linux support from
moving forward, and will instead consist of ATI support moving forward
at the cost of nVidia support for a while.

Perhaps Intel has perceived this, which may be why Linux support for
their graphics chips seems to be improving.

beww