[mythtv-users] Just let my TV de-interlace

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:39:30 UTC 2008

To follow-up and share what I did for the sake of searchable archives:
I have an ubuntu with nvidia proprietary drivers.

I first had to enable RandRRotation in xorg.conf

Then I was still confused why I had so many wrong frequencies starting
from 50 and counting up, but discovered that this is the intended
behavior by nvidia when reporting a mode to RandR to give nvidia a way
to ensure all entries are unique (1080p vs 1080i for example).

Great, once I learned that, I was able to use the appearance options
in mythfrontend to use 1080i (played with the psudo frequencies until
my tv reported 1080i) for 1920x1080 since all my recordings at that
resolution are 1080i.  I set 1280x720 to my 720p rez, and 480 stuff I
just let the box upscale since ATSC subchannels aren't all quite the
same resolution.

However, I discovered that once Myth switches to a video resolution
(1080i in this case), it does not switch back to 1080p if the
resolution is the same even though they are different ranr entries.

But thats a moot point since I did some comparisons to see which
looked better, letting my TV de-interlace or try to do it using CPU.
I found in my case with a Sony XBR2 1080p, it was better to
de-interlace on cpu, no contest, so I just set my 1080 res back to
1080p for both gui and video.  I did set a 720p res as well, and that
worked just fine

I then made a change to my tv playback settings to ensure interlacing
is not attempted for a 1280x720 source since all of it is 720p which
let me use XVideo instead of XVMC, which has a harder time with audio
for me (I get a lot of pops and funny noises over spdif with xvmc)

I also went ahead and used the 59.94Hz modeline my TV reported in EDID
using -logverbose and looking at Xorg.0.log, I can't really tell if it
made a difference or not.  Possibly not as many problems with sound
since it might be easier for video to stay in sync with audio, but
thats most likely just in my head.

Summary, it wasn't really worth trying to get my TV to play interlaced
video from my nvidia 6600 to my Sony TV, it was incredibly jerky.
Which is odd because it does fine with 1080i ATSC source.

Oh well, on to the next thing to tinker with...