[mythtv-users] Can this be done, if yes, HOW ?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Oct 30 21:34:47 UTC 2008

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> belcampo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Running remote mythfrontend via ssh with forwarding X works nice for
>> scheduling, system-info etc. What can't be done is 'playing' the
>> videos/music directly, you need mythweb/mythstream or a local installed
>> mythfrontend on your linux/osx/m$ installation to do that.
>>
>> If you would have the option to redirect from
>> 'normal-remote-internal-player' to local-internal-player one would have
>> almost have everything except commercial-skipping, lossles transcoding
>> could solve that.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Belcampo
>>
> I may be misunderstanding, but you want to direct the video feed through
> an SSH tunnel?  SSH encryption is computationally expensive, so it would
> be better to render directly to the remote X server.  Beyond that,
> uncompressed video is massive.  There is not much point to even trying
> over 10/100.  Gigabit should be able to handle SD resolutions, but
> recorded 720p is too high framerate to have a chance of streaming.
What I would like is the following:
ssh ip.of.mythbackend mythfrontend ;select video I'm interested in
local mplayer 'the-selected-file'
after exit
ssh ip.of.mythbackend mythfrontend ;again
quit mythfrontend
back in my host system.

The only thing needed on the frontend is ssh mplayer/xine and X

This way every X capable system (OSX, M$ with Xming and linux of course,
and maybe PopCornHour et all with added X) would be able to use this.