[mythtv-users] HDHR unavailable in Fedora 9

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 29 14:03:06 UTC 2008

Larry K wrote:
> Perhaps.  I have never run a software firewall in myth before.
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
>
>     Larry K wrote:
>     > Solved.
>     >
>     > Even though I had turned off the firewall, I had to go into the
>     service
>     > manager and stop the iptables and ip6tables services as well.
>     >
>     > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
>     <mailto:lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     >> I just upgraded my mythtv system to Fedora 9 (on Asus M3N78-VM)
>     and now
>     >> mythtv cannot see the tuners. I cannot discover the HDHR with
>     >> hdhomerun_config either. I have confirmed the following:
>
>     That sounds weird. And not too safe.
>
>     You may want to run the fedora firewall config program called 'lokkit'
>     in a terminal, and set the hdhomerun port(s) open (3543? 3453?) then
>     'service iptables restart'. Not too safe running without a firewall,
>     even with a router in front of things.

Having a "firewall" in the machine being "protected" is akin to putting
the levee in the middle of town, instead of at the river's edge. I think
New Orleans found out how well that works.

You should have a good firewall between your network and the outside
world. This can be running in the same box as your router, or an
external appliance. Many texts on network design cover various
strategies for doing this, edge routers, DMZs etc.

Netgear makes the ProSafe line of inexpensive firewall/routers with some
VPN capability built-in. Of course more expensive units are available
with higher levels of protection.

beww