[mythtv-users] moving tear line on HD image [was: Just let my TV de-interlace]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Oct 29 07:18:15 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:
>>> case. I currently use 1080p for everything (it's fixed resolution
>>> for my
>>> myth system, and mythfrontend does all the scaling and deinterlacing),
>>> and there's a tiny tear line that descends slowly over the screen, and
>>> then there's a small jump (a single frame is maybe either lost or
>>> doubled, I'm not sure which) when the tear line reaches bottom. The
>>> jump
>>> occurs approx once every 30 seconds or so.

I borrowed a GeForce 7900 GS from another computer and disabled the
GeForce 8200 embedded in the motherboard.

With the 7900 add-on card, the wandering tear line is gone. I can't tell
yet if the frame jump is gone too, it's too early for that (the issue is
pretty subtle and I can't spend too much time verifying it now).

Looks like I may have to get a serious card for this machine, perhaps a
9600 GT, and make it a dual MythTV frontend / Windows gaming platform. I
can very well run the backend on a server which is up 24/7 - with an
HDHR, the load on the backend is negligible, all I need is to give it a
large drive dedicated for MythTV.

I was reluctant to make the frontend dual boot, but with the backend
running on a different system there's no reason not to.

By the way, the 7900 has excellent 3D performance, much better than the
embedded 8200. It can play Tomb Raider Anniversary in 720p mode with all
quality settings turned up and antialiasing set to 2x, and has awesome
frame rate, very fluid.
It still has a not too bad frame rate in 1080p as well, but I have to
disable antialiasing completely.
I guess a 9600 should be even better. :-)

This is very cool.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/