[mythtv-users] blank frontend screen

Bob Hackenberg rgh2 at datasink.com
Wed Oct 29 00:23:28 UTC 2008

I have installed mythtv on my Ubuntu Hardy machine.  The machine is an HP 9340F with a Hauppauge HVR 1800 card. I know that the card works because I have no problem bringing in local digital stations under Microsoft Vista.  However, I live on the Linux side of the machine and want to be receiving TV while I am working.

I think I have the software installed correctly.  I can start a backend server and also do a setup.  When I run the frontend, I get a 800x600 screen with patterned blue background but absolutely nothing on it.  Based on what I saw on the web, there are two interface styles.  By randomly clicking on various parts of the blank screen, I can get other screens to appear.

mythtv must be talking to my tv card because at one point it scanned for channels and found a number of local feeds.

All I really want to do is watch live programming.  Later I might wish to record something but at this point mythtv is a non-starter.

Any idea what I need to do to get mythtv to work?

thanks.

bob