[mythtv-users] New user / New system

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 28 22:05:55 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Rick P wrote:

> Hello all, I’m new to this list and new to MythTV.  I’ve been
> reading and reading on this and still a bit confused, but... I plan
> on building a FE/BE system to replace a failing Tivo 1 hack system.
> Below is a list of hardware I was planning on utilizing for this
> system.  I was leaning toward Fedora since I have a bit more
> knowledge with it.  I already have a MySQL server running on a W2K3
> system; can I utilize this system also for MythTV or should I just
> install another MySQL instance on the Fedora box?

Using what you already have is fine as long as you realize there is
going to be a LOT of MySQL activity. Make sure you have the bandwidth
(network/disk/processor) to deal with a new heavy load on the MySQL
server.

For instance:
mysql> select count(*) from recorded; #Number of programs recorded
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|      763 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from recordedseek; #Number of entries in seek
table
| count(*) |
|  3619321 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)