[mythtv-users] manually defining ATSC channel (how-to?)

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Tue Oct 28 21:49:02 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/28/2008 04:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Misty P wrote:
>>> So there's NO way to manually define a channel ahead of time?
>>> *none*?
>>>
>> You could hand-edit a channel config file and import it, but I've
>> never done that and couldn't tell you what exactly needs to be done.
>> I've only ever see the option to a import channel config file so I
>> know it exists.
>
> Yeah, you'll lose a whole lot more sleep reading the code to figure
> out exactly what must be defined than you would setting your alarm
> for 3am and doing a 2-minute channel scan on the day of the test.

The only thing I'm worried about with that approach is that myth might
possibly see the same channel identifier on a different frequency and delete
the original channel.

> So, I highly recommend deciding which is more important--recording
> something from the 2-hr early-morning test or sleep.

(grumble) all right, *fine*....  :)

> BTW, it would be a /lot/ easier to just manually tune the channel
> using dvbtools and capture using dd than trying to do it through
> Myth.  You could do all that via scripts (assuming you know what
> you're doing) run through a cron job and don't have to figure out the
> complexities of Myth's definition of DVB channels.  And, you won't
> have to delete the channel from Myth at 5am if you don't configure it
> in Myth.

Actually, they're doing tests five evenings in a row, so I wouldn't mind
recording it all five nights.  Of course, I guess I could cron it off and
fire it five days in a row, too.