[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Oct 28 17:00:13 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
> I guess we all have our opinions. On all of my 1TB+ raid 5 and 6
> arrays home and work  (well except a single 2TB array) I have LVM on
> top of raid so that I can break the filesystem up in smaller chunks so
> that filesystem corruption does not send all of my data to the bit
> bucket...

If your filesystem is FUBAR, I don't think it's going to matter whether
you're striping your data via lvm2 or md.  If you have to take a RAID
volume out of an LVM Volume Group in a hurry, your filesystem is down.
Every Physical Volume in a Volume Group needs to have good integrity, so
the RAID will prevent your PV from showing bad blocks to the filesystem
in most cases.  But if the filesystem itself is corrupt, the GIGO
principle applies.