[mythtv-users] Is anyone using mythtv as a server for the new Internet capable TVs ?

MonkeyPet monkeypet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 06:40:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Eric Smith <erictsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> > I'm in the market to buy a new TV.  I'm contemplating setting up a myth
>> > TV server/system.
>> >
>> > Several of the TVs I am looking at appear to support some sort of
>> > Internet capability.  Ie the Samsung 52LN650.
>> >
>> > http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
>> >
>> > I am wondering if such a TV could connected directly to a mythTV backend
>> > (server), without the need for a local front end PC.  Has anyone tried
>> > this ?
>>
>> myth-0.21-fixes upnp server works out of the box with Pioneer PRO-111FD
>> TV (which claims to be "DLNA certified").
>>
>> The playback is very smooth and there is no deinterlacing issues etc.
>> (TV handles everything by itself). But a lot of the functionality is
>> lost (not even fast-forward, at least with HD MPEG2s).
>>
>> Bolek
>
> I bought a 47ln750 about a month ago.  (Fantastic TV).  I'd been meaning to
> test out the DLNA feature since I got it, but never got around to it.  You
> reminded me to do so.  I was pretty amazed that with zero configuration it
> pulled up a list of all of my recorded tv from the backend.  However, each
> and every file fails with something along the lines of "unknown format".  My
> content is all mpeg2, which should be supported, so I'm not sure where the
> disconnect is.  I'll poke a little longer and see what I find.

I got the SAMSUNG LN46A850. TV is great and extremely thin (over
priced too).  It was able to find my mp3s/videos on the backend, but
couldn't play them with the error message unknown format.  I didn't
spend much time fiddling with it yet.  So now it is hooked up to a mac
mini running linux that I run the mythtv-frontend on.  I hope to be
able to fiddle with the DLNA features later on and stream audio and
video directly to it soon without the PC attached.