[mythtv-users] moving tear line on HD image [was: Just let my TV de-interlace]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Oct 28 00:47:50 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
>> case. I currently use 1080p for everything (it's fixed resolution
>> for my
>> myth system, and mythfrontend does all the scaling and deinterlacing),
>> and there's a tiny tear line that descends slowly over the screen, and
>> then there's a small jump (a single frame is maybe either lost or
>> doubled, I'm not sure which) when the tear line reaches bottom. The
>> jump
>> occurs approx once every 30 seconds or so.
>
> Try a different connection. My PS3 did this over HDMI with 1080p and
> stopped when I switched to 1080i. The my MythTV box did this with
> 1080p over HDMI and doesn't any more now that I use DVI.

You mean, a different type of input on the TV? OK, I guess I can try it,
but I can't imagine the reason why it should be so. The tear seems like
a small problem with the scan frequency of the source (or something like
that), but I totally wouldn't expect a high-quality player like the PS3
to exhibit problems of this sort.
Did you just switch to the DVI input on the TV? Or did you use a
DVI-to-HDMI adapter for MythTV?

By the way, there's a PS3 hooked up over HDMI to my TV, it's set to
1080p and it works very well.

I have HDMI, component and VGA inputs on my TV, and the MythTV
motherboard has HDMI and VGA outputs. The TV does not accept true HD
signal (1080p, etc.) on VGA. So currently I must use HDMI (I keep VGA
active and hooked up as well, as a secondary screen of different
resolution, for quick troubleshooting in case HDMI goes bananas).

I may install a separate graphics card on the myth appliance pretty
soon, maybe with a DVI output, and try a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, but isn't
that "cheating"? (I mean, it's still the HDMI input on the TV)
Or maybe a card with component out, I know there are some cards like
that out there.
Maybe just using a different graphics chip on the myth appliance will
make a difference.

I appreciate the tip, but it worries me a little. It seems to indicate
this whole "HD from PC to TV" thing is somewhat of a crapshoot.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/