[mythtv-users] OT Wall mount or other setups

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Oct 27 08:24:27 UTC 2008

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> As many times as this has been said before, I'll say it again. Claiming
> a machine will do 720p h264 is COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS. The two primary
> measurements of hardware requirements are bitrate and entropy encoding
> (CABAC is more intensive than CAVLC). Beyond that, more reference frames
> somewhat increase complexity, and requires additional buffer memory.  As
> long as you have hardware accelerated video scaling (Xv), resolution
> doesn't really matter. I doubt an Atom at 1.6GHz could handle more than
> maybe 3-4Mbps, which puts it well below any 720p h264 stream you're
> going to get from a legitimate source.
Apple trailer 720p with following from mediainfo
Complete name                    : /mm04/videos/HD/PinkFloyd2006.mov
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : QuickTime
Codec ID                         : qt
File size                        : 151 MiB
Duration                         : 4mn 8s
Overall bit rate                 : 5 099 Kbps
Movie name                       : David Gilmour
Encoded date                     : UTC 2007-10-29 22:17:35
Tagged date                      : UTC 2007-10-29 22:18:08
Comment                          : All Rights Reserved

Video
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main at L3.1
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
Codec ID                         : avc1
Duration                         : 4mn 8s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 4 969 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.216
Stream size                      : 147 MiB (97%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2007-09-19 00:24:49
Tagged date                      : UTC 2007-10-29 22:18:08

Audio
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                   : Version 4
Format profile                   : LC
Format settings, SBR             : No
Codec ID                         : 40
Duration                         : 4mn 8s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 124 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 3.68 MiB (2%)
Encoded date                     : UTC 2007-09-19 00:24:49
Tagged date                      : UTC 2007-10-29 22:18:08

is played < 70% load according to top