[mythtv-users] Help installing HVR-1600, stuck

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 00:36:51 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> I am trying to install the HVR-1600 on my Mythbox which also has a
> PVR-150. I have followed here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HVR-1600#Installation_Guide
>
> - Am I supposed to do that first part with the apt-get? I am using
> Arch linux so I don't know how to get the latest driver, or if I'm
> supposed to follow that at all? (Also says that latest drivers are
> included in kernel?)
> - I downloaded the latest firmware as instructed and copied the .fw
> files to /lib/firmware/, rebooted, and now I get this in dmesg:
>
> ~ # dmesg | grep cx18
> cx18:  Start initialization, version 1.0.0
> cx18-0: Initializing card #0
> cx18-0: Autodetected Hauppauge card
> cx18 0000:00:09.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> cx18-0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
> cx18-0: cx23418 revision 01010000 (B)
> cx18-0: Invalid EEPROM
> cx18-0: VBI is not yet supported
> tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx18 i2c driver #0-1)
> tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx18 i2c driver #0-1)
> cs5345 0-004c: chip found @ 0x98 (cx18 i2c driver #0-0)
> cx18-0: Disabled encoder IDX device
> cx18-0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPEG (2 MB)
> DVB: registering new adapter (cx18)
> cx18-0: frontend initialization failed
> cx18-0: DVB failed to register
> cx18-0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2 MB)
> cx18-0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM audio (1 MB)
> cx18-0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
> cx18-0: Error -12 registering devices
> cx18-0: Error -12 on initialization
> cx18: probe of 0000:00:09.0 failed with error -12
> cx18:  End initialization
> ~ #
>
> Kinda stuck here, as I tried going into mythtv-setup and seeing if I
> might be able to add the card but it only shows /dev/video0, of course
> my PVR-150.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

I had this same dmesg output and wasted WEEKS trying to find the
answer.  The solution for me was reinstalling Ubuntu with the Hauppauge
1600 REMOVED from the motherboard. And then AFTER installing Ubuntu,
shut down and reinstall the card. This solved the problem for me.

Before you wipe out your system, try this. Just shut down, remove the
card, then restart. Now shut down and reinstall the card and the restart
and install your cx18 drivers and firmware files.

Hope this helps. Theres not much about getting tv on my pc that I really
understand. It would be nice to know that I have learned at least one
thing :-)

Good luck.