[mythtv-users] Installing new HVR-1600, conflict with nvidia card / PCI slot usage??

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 22:59:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install my HVR-1600 in my Mythbox, which currently has 3 PCI
> slots and 1 AGP. Here's my motherboard:
> http://img.earena.co.jp/gal2/1/11012.jpg
> On the very left PCI slot I have a PVR-150, then empty, empty and the black
> AGP is my 7600GS.
>  The problem is, when I put a card (I tried the HVR and also swapped in
> the PVR-150) in that slot second to the left, my nvidia card won't start X
> and gives me an error of it being unable to access /dev/nvidia0, the video
> card. Of course the card works fine, just won't get into X, and it's
> definitely because of that PCI slot. I put the HVR into the 3rd PCI slot
> (very right in pic) and X loaded just fine and dandy-- BUT then the HVR and
> the 7600 are barely a millimeter apart and I fear overheating (?? valid
> concern?).
>  How can I get that damn middle PCI slot usable?? Is it some BIOS setting?
>  Thanks for any help
> Bob

In some motherboards, the HVR-1600 will not work all PCI slots.  See "Step
1" in the "Quick Installation Guide".

>  http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1600.html
> ...Turn the power off on your PC. Install the WinTV-HVR-1600 into a
> PCI slot. On some PC's, the WinTV-HVR needs to be plugged into
> the first or second PCI slot....

I'm not sure which slot your middle slot is, but I thought this might apply
to you.  If you have a slot that works but you're worried about
over-heating, I'd just try it and monitor stability.  If over-heating seems
to be an issue, maybe swap case fans for another that moves more air or add
an additional case fan.

Greg