[mythtv-users] I can't make any progress in getting Mythtv to work

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Sat Oct 25 22:46:47 UTC 2008

Now, using Ubuntu Hardy with Mythbuntu-desktop installed I have the same
problems as in my first post...

I configured a primary backend and a frontend.

Next to where is says "ping test server" on the first setup page, there is a space labeled
"port". Should there be anything in it? Should "ping test server" be checked or unchecked?

Page 2 has these options. "Use custom identifier for frontend
preferences" and "Enable database server wakeup". I think these can be
left alone for now. Correct?

Now when I click the "finish" button I get this message "Cannot find
(ping) database host on network. Clicking on "ok" takes my back to the
first configuration page.

When I "esc" out of backend setup I get a window that says "Would you like to run mythfilldatabase?"
I think this is asking questions related to the network connection. Network connection should not be needed since I have a frontend/backend box. Is this correct?

Something is not happening that should be happening. What?