[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Sat Oct 25 13:35:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:34:56 +0100, Ian Clark wrote
> 2008/10/23 Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>
>
> > 2008/10/23 Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com>:
> > > From Slashdot
> > >
> > [snip]
> >

> > Given the amount of time it would take even a hardware controller to
> > reconstruct a 2TB drive you'd be unwise to use them.
> >
> > 750GB drives using a decent hardware controller take about 30 hours to
> > reconstruct a failed drive under raid 6.....this means you have a
> > 'failure window' of those 30 hours when a 2nd failure kills you.  I
> > can't imagine I'd even want this 'failure window' to be in the 72+
> > hour timeframe.

as a data point I had a drive get marked as failed last night, the raid volume got
marked as "degraded".  I had stuff recording so it continued to add data
for a few hours. once I felt it was save to tinker I pulled out the drive and
reseated it. raid card saw the drive go back in and started rebuiding.

2008-10-25 6:10:48 	volume_1 	Complete Rebuild 	009:11:57
9 hours on a 12T filesystem, hardware raid card of course to get those speeds.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org