[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Oct 24 22:10:43 UTC 2008

Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> says:
> I have been watching the discussion that I kicked off with my post
> and I still don't have a good feeling on what we are all supposed to
> do for 2009.

[...]

> Going forward, what are best mythtv practices for many large disk
> drives?

You've seen various people, including me, share in some detail their
current and future plans for large MythTV-recording arrays. The
majority is using RAID 5 and 6, and at least one person plans on
ZFS. What more do you expect? "Thou shalt/shalt not use RAID 5"?

Read the thread over again, gauge others' experiences versus your own
wallet and attributed value of MythTV recordings, and act
accordingly. "Go, and sin no more."

> Should we just pray that although the statistics say otherwise,
> native RAID5 on Linux will not self-destruct when using many large
> capacity drives?

What statistics? Note that the comments to the ZDNet blog posting
(from more than a year ago, before the rise of 1.5TB drives) you cited
have been quite scathing. The newer comments that arrived after the
Slashdot article gave the posting new attention are similarly mocking
of the author's mathematical competence and willingness to resort to a
shock headline.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array