[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Oct 24 19:36:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, October 24, 2008 12:32 pm, David Schlenk wrote:

> This kind of topic does seem to underline the two camps that use Myth
> - those who have access to old hardware for cheap or free and make a
> DVR out of it for less than a tivo + lifetime that has way more
> capabilities, and those who are looking to make the most insane home
> media solution money can buy. Both are really interesting uses and its
> nice that the same project can cater to both kinds of users.

Don't forget those of us who start off with a cobbled up Frankestein which
then grows to devour the whole village.... :-)  My first myth backend was
a 94-vintage HP netserver with 4 hand-me-down IDE drives.  Now it's a
really nice dual-core machine with 6GB ram and 1.5 TB of storage.

At least in my case I am working to build 2 large-ish machines which each
serve many purposes rather than many specialized ones, so per user/use my
cost is less (at least that's what I tell myself.)

--Yan

--
  o__

You are an adult when you realize that everyone's an idiot sometimes. You
are wise when you include yourself.