[mythtv-users] "Cars" dvd crashes internal DVD player to desktop

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 17:44:54 UTC 2008

  On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 5:44 AM, qwerty byrd <qwertybyrd[at]gmail.com>
wrote:
 >> I am running MythDora 5, and when I try to play the Disney DVD
"Cars" using
 >> the internal dvd player, it successfully plays all of the
commercials and
 >> such, then crashed Mythfrontend to the desktop when it gets to the
movie. I
 >> am able to play the dvd in the same machine using vlc.
 >>
 >> Has anyone else had this problem with this dvd? Is there a solution?
 >>
 >> Any assistance is appreciated!

 >I'm on Mythbuntu, and it seems to be revision 17416 (whatever the
 >latest update on mythbuntu repositories is).
 >I rip all my dvds to ISO and play them off a fileserver.

 >Up until ~6 weeks or so ago everything I threw at it played
 >flawlessly. After one of the recent updates, though, it now crashes
 >on almost 2/3 of dvd isos. Nothing else in the system has changed...

Reviving an old thread here.  Did this problem ever get solved?  I'm
building a new box on Mythubuntu 8.10beta.  It sure sounds like DVD
playback has problems with Still Frames.  I haven't encountered a still
frame it could play thru.  I'm hoping that the myth build in Mythubuntu
8.10beta is just out of date and when the release happens the .21-fixed
weekly builds will solve the problem.  Myth is my primary dvd player.
Its up converting looks great on my projector.  These disks play fine
under .20 with ubuntu 7.10.

More on this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/288816

Thanks,