[mythtv-users] Plugging a non-TV source to a capture card line input?

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 05:31:47 UTC 2008

>> Use v4l2-ctl --set-input to set the input of your device (v4l2-ctl --
>> list-input if you don't know which one to use), then cat /dev/videoX >
>> myfile.mpg is much easier than setting up a fake tuner, making sure
>> mythtv doesn't use it, then schedule a manual recording. Just make
>> sure nothing is scheduled to record while you're using that tuner. You
>> can always remove the input connections from mythtv-setup for that
>> tuner, restart the backend, then put them back when you're done so you
>> know it won't try to use the tune while you're recording from your VCR.
>
> Sure, I could totally bypass mythtv and do what you say, but I was kind of
> hoping to be able to see the video mostly live and be able to hit record
> around the right time (yes, I know about the liveTV delay, which is why I
> say "about").

you can definitely setup the tuner in myth and do a custom record but
if you go the cat /dev/video route you can always view the mpg in real
time using mplayer which is easier.  there are a lot of ways to do
this and using myth is always an option but you incur the "penalty" of
the scheduler so doing it manually is easier IMHO.