[mythtv-users] Is anyone using mythtv as a server for the new Internet capable TVs ?

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Thu Oct 23 22:37:19 UTC 2008

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'm in the market to buy a new TV.  I'm contemplating setting up a myth
> TV server/system.
>
> Several of the TVs I am looking at appear to support some sort of
> Internet capability.  Ie the Samsung 52LN650.
> http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody
>
> I am wondering if such a TV could connected directly to a mythTV backend
> (server), without the need for a local front end PC.  Has anyone tried
> this ?

myth-0.21-fixes upnp server works out of the box with Pioneer PRO-111FD
TV (which claims to be "DLNA certified").

The playback is very smooth and there is no deinterlacing issues etc.
(TV handles everything by itself). But a lot of the functionality is
lost (not even fast-forward, at least with HD MPEG2s).

Bolek