[mythtv-users] "Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?" and other error messages

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:23:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
>> > wrote:

>>> OOM killer, perhaps?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> I have 1.5 GB of memory.  Would that make OOM killer unlikely?
>>
>> About an hour ago, I tried looking at the recorded program's list.  The
>> system froze for about 1.5 minutes then I got a message that it "Unable to
>> connect to mythbackend, is it running?"  I currently have only one machine,
>> a combined BE/FE.
>>
>> I looked again at the *mythbackend.log* file.  There seemed to be more
>> error messages there.
>>
>> ******************************
>> ** Section with errors ****
>> *****************************
>> 8-10-20 18:29:29.719 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 36 4
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.722 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 23 11
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.723 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 12 12
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.728 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid mb type in P
>> Frame at 14 14
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.729 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 4 15
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.730 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 4 15
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.731 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 30 17
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.732 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 22 18
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.733 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 9 20
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.734 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.735 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 39 21
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.736 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 21 25
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.737 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 2 24
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.738 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 14 25
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.739 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 7 26
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.748 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 1 27
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.749 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 15 29
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.828 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.832 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> Segmentation fault
>>

> In this case, your backend segfaulted.  In order to diagnose this, you can
> do one of two things:
>
> 1.  Update to the latest  -fixes code to see if this has been addressed.
> 2.  Compile the -fixes branch with debug symbols and follow the
> instructions on the mythtv.org website documentation for generating a
> backtrace so that the developers can see what may be causing the crash
>
> This is not the same issue you had before.
>
> But, the fact that you have your database crashing and mythtv crashing
> leads me to wonder if you may have a bad stick of memory causing both
> programs to behave badly.
>
> Kevin

I thought I was about ready to send a reply saying the problem was solved.
I updated the latest -fixes code and MythTV was solid for about 24 hours.
Last night I ran into problems again.  I wonder if my OTA viewing and
recordings might be part of the problem.

   1. I was watching a ATSC OTA recording that was pixelating, pausing and
   breaking up.  I believe this is due to the program being broadcast from a
   distant station, not necessarily due to the card or MythTV.  I see similar
   picture qaulity problems on other digital TVs (not connected to myth).
   2. The picture became bad enough that I decided to stop watching and I
   was going to delete the program.  When I hit the stop button on the remote
   MythTV hung for about a minute or so.
   3. When Myth unfroze, I went into the program guide and it was empty.
   4. When I rebooted, I was presented the the General MythTVBackend screen
   where I had to validate the IP address, database name and password.  All
   settings were correct so I just accepted the defaults.
   5. I immediately went to the recorded program guide and all shows were
   there.  I watched a minute of two or three cable/analog programs and it
   seemed like things were fine.
   6. This morning I looked at the recorded program list and it was empty
   again.  I rebooted (did not get the general backend screen this time) and
   went into the recorded programs.  They all displayed again.

My question is this.  My Hauppauge HVR-1600 tunes the analog cable channels
very well.  On the digital tuner, I'm trying to tune some distant channels
where the reception is often not too good.  Is there any known issue of
tuning OTA digital programming with poor reception that would cause MythTV
to run into errors?

Thanks,
Greg