[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:20:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2008 05:11 PM, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
>> Interesting discussion. I avoid LiveTV in mythtv because of the following:
>>
>> - channel changes take 5 - 8 seconds between channels within the same multiplex
>> - channel changes take 8 - 12 seconds between channels in different multiplexes
>> - sometimes difficulty to tune to a channel, i.e. no lock (not
>> consistent behavior)
>>

> I avoid LiveTV (a.k.a. Waste-Your-LifeTV) in MythTV because of the
> following:
>
>  - I have better things to do with my time, like watch shows that I'm
> actually interested in watching (i.e. the ones I told Myth to record) on
> /my/ schedule or write code for Myth or--in a pinch--something that has
> nothing to do with TV

I do not avoid LiveTV (a.k.a. Reusing-A-Cable-Box-TV) in MythTV
because I have one cable box in my basement that's connected via
Firewire to my master backend that is shared throughout my house;
i.e., I can watch college football on ESPNHD and ESPN2HD in my bedroom
on Saturday nights.

Just a flip side to your statement.