[mythtv-users] Hardware questions

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Oct 23 13:21:25 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> Getting a bit confused here.. would I wind up buying this antenna and,
> having zero experience with this stuff, get someone from a store to install
> it? How much am I probably looking at total?

I'm in the Chicago area, and put up an antenna in my attic last year.
You cannot find an antenna installer in the phone book, at least not
around here.  Depending on the store, they may or may not offer
installation service.  For a $100 antenna, I have heard of at least $200
extra for installation.  This is part of the reason I did it myself, and
put it up in the attic.  (I didn't want to risk working on my roof.)

I would suggest a trip to avsforum.com, in the OTA section, find the
thread for your locality, read, and ask questions.  The knowledge will
be tailored for your area, which is helpful for OTA.

> Also, let's say I get it up and running and have an HD tuner... I can use my
> desktop PC as mythfrontend just as I do now with cable TV, right? My desktop
> plays back HD stuff no sweat.

Yes.