[mythtv-users] Serial-USB control of Directv H20

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Oct 23 13:10:34 UTC 2008

Dave Badia wrote:
> Well, I tried the cron keep-alive, but it didn't seem to make much
> difference, as the unit would stop responding after a few hours.  So, I dug
> out my old H10 from my closet & hooked that up.  Channel changes worked fine
> for as long as I left it hooked up (about 2 days).
>
> So then I hooked up a new H20 unit - now I am seeing the same timeout after
> a few hours that I saw previously.  I'm running out of ideas, I'm starting
> to think I may have to use the IR blaster.
>
> Dave

I have an H20 I've been controlling via Serial->USB for 11 months
straight with no problems at all.

It wasn't clear from your original post whether this ever worked for
you?  Did it work at one point and suddenly stop?

The fact that the same hardware seems to work with your old H10 suggests
to me that the port on your H20 is flaky.  See if you can replace it or
swap it with another you already have, if you have more than one.