[mythtv-users] usb capture on laptop backend..

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Wed Oct 22 09:09:17 UTC 2008

Michael Kim wrote:
> I'm thinking about using my Thinkpad T61 as a backend w/ a USB capture
> device and a 750GB external drive.  Is anyone using a laptop as a
> backend?  Should I just buy a new box?
>
> Any recommendations for USB capture...?  I'll be living in Argentina so
> I need PAL, but I'd like to buy it while I'm in the US.  Can someone
> lead me to a site in the US that has PAL hardware.

You didn't mention analog or digital, nor sd or hd.

For sd analog tv, you can use a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2. It works well
under Linux and MythTV (there is a dedicated page on the wiki).

The US webpage from Hauppauge mentions it has been replaced by the HVR-1950,
which can do more, but apparently no PAL. I think it is still available in
Europe.

Yann