[mythtv-users] ASUS MoBos - TV OUT

Jeff Holicky myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com
Tue Oct 21 05:04:46 UTC 2008

I am looking for a good uATX front end and had a question
regarding ASUS MoBos that have integrated Nvidia graphic cards.
An example would be:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=628&l4=0&model=20
36&modelmenu=2
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
Comes with DVI, HDMI out.  I am trying to get a few FEs so the
cost of the gear is critical.  I would like to know today that at
some point in the future it would work well with Myth and HD
playback (as I plan SD now only).
I'd hate to buy something knowing that I might need a card to do
what the onboard should.
a) After reading the Myth Wiki - that DVI/HDMI should work with
Myth - assuming I can get the drivers?
Am I better off TODAY getting a MoBo that has both connectors?
Or am I paying a premium for something onboard that may never
work and I may have to buy a card eventually?
b) In general with most ASUS MoBos (with Nvidia) is there some
connector available that provides S-VIDEO out?
Most ASUS boards I saw (newer ones) don't seem to offer S-VIDEO.
But I have read that you can get a connector from ASUS?  Anyone
have a part number?  A webpage to review?
Funny - I am familiar with ASUS MoBos - I can add devices at the
front or back that connect to the onboard connector - but when I
reviewed the board above (detailed manual), there doesn't seem to
be any spot to plug an S-VIDEO header onto the board.
Then again, am I better off to get an Nvidia card which has an
S-VIDEO connector instead?
I am reviewing all my options - and am not married to ASUS.  But
I find that ASUS seems to offer a lot of extra features for the
money.
Thanks all
jeff