[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 01:31:25 UTC 2008

Steve Heistand wrote:
> }
> } Here's the "Device" section of my xorg.conf:
> }
> } Section "Device"
> }         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> }         Boardname       "ATI Radeon (fglrx)"
> }         Busid           "PCI:1:5:0"
> }         Driver          "fglrx"
> }         Screen  0
> }         Vendorname      "ATI"
> } EndSection
> }
>
> there is probably a backup of the xorg.conf file in that
> directory. (ls -lrt /etc/X11/ )
> copy the info for the above section in old file into
> current file. Comment out the above. restart X

OK, that didn't work, but I just got it to work another way.  Here's
what I did:

I copied back the xorg.conf that I thought was the good one but got the
same results.  So I looked around and found an fglrx uninstall script so
I ran it and it got rid of whatever fglrx was laying around on the
system.  When I rebooted, I got that "low-graphics mode" message again,
but every time I tried to tell it to use the open source fglrx driver
(which I assumed is pre-installed or else why would Ubuntu present me
with the option, right?), the video wouldn't come up on a reboot.  I'd
get the same "low-graphics mode" message every single time.

So, I decided to re-run the ATI installer package.  I ran through it and
rebooted.  Then it came up and started the front end as normal, and when
I go to LiveTV, I now have TV being displayed at a "normal"
presentation.  No more slow-motion video or green snow now.

I still have no sound on analog channels (even though /dev/dsp exists
and I have the audio device setup to use /dev/dsp on the Capture Card
setup), and the sound on the DVB channels still sounds like the
"baseball card in the spokes" phenomenon.

So for now, I'm good with the video, but bad with the sound.  Getting
there slowly but surely!

Thanks,
Harry