[mythtv-users] Handbreak settings for MythTV?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 20:00:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Comments <comments at mecworks.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After encoding some of my personal DVDs for use on my iPod, I was
> wondering if there is a preset in Handbreak that produces good output
> for use on MythTV?  Preferably, a setting that would look good at 720p
> and have full surround sound.
>
> I originally was just placing the DVD ISO images on the mythtv box but
> on movies with greater than a stereo audio track, the sound does not
> sync with the video.  Also, the DVD ISOs just take up too much space.
> By encoding using Handbreak, I'll fix both these issues.
>
> Anyone familiar with Handbreak enough to know about the presets or
> compatible command line settings to do this?
>
> Thanks!

I think its a matter of trial and error.  If you are starting with DVD
you won't get any better resolution than you started with (480 lines
or 576 lines depending if you are NTSC or PAL).

What codec are you encoding to? For h.264 I find 1000 kbps is
sufficient for video bitrate, although these things are VERY
subjective!

The Handbrake (note the spelling) CLI guide here
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide gives some sample command
lines. Trial and error some short clips and see what is acceptable for
you. You'll want a sample with some rapid movement and some subtle
colour/contrast tonings as those are often "edge" conditions where
bitrate and encoding quality make a real difference.