[mythtv-users] UK Freeview trouble with channel lock

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 17 20:54:37 UTC 2008

Andrew Ingram wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Is anyone else having trouble locking onto some Freeview channels since last
> night? I'm able to watch BBC channels, some music channels and some shopping
> channels, but ITV (all), Channel 4 and Five I'm getting an error about how
> the card should have had a lock by now and just getting a blank screen. Any
> recordings against these channels result in a file not found when trying to
> play them back.
>
> I'm in the South East so I assume I'm on the Crystal Palace transmitter. Is
> anyone else having trouble?

Actually, I'm having the reverse problem lately although not quite as severely
as yourself. If I record from BBC 1/2/3 (Mux 1) I get much higher error rates,
artifacts, noise and audio problems than if I record from one of the other
muxes, BBC 4 being on MUX B. I assumed that something had been temporarily
adjusted on my local transmitter, but it's still a pain. I have had to scrub
some recordings because they are too poor to watch. My local transmitter is
Hannington, just south of Kingsclere, north Hants.

If you can't tune at all it may be worth rescanning just that multiplex,
although I know the process can cause a lot of extra work setting the
channels/xmltvids up again.

--

Mike Perkins