[mythtv-users] Apple TV almost working. Only a slight issue remains

Michael Brancato mike at mikebrancato.com
Fri Oct 17 15:40:08 UTC 2008

Well, I never quite figured out what was causing the audio buffer
underruns.  But I'm closer to solving the problem.

I switched away from XvMC to XV and things became much better.  I have
both HD and SD working in a usable state with no stuttering or jitter.
The problem is that I can't enable deinterlacing.

With XV, my memory usage goes well above the physical amount on the
AppleTV, and CPU is bad.  But The end result is better than with XvMC
which uses much less CPU and loads less memory.  I'm trying to eliminate
running processes to save memory, But I'm probably only using less than
10MB of RAM excluding MythTV related processes (X, openbox,
mythfrontend, etc), so there isn't much more I can save.  Mythfrontend
seems to use over 160MB in memory itself with HD content.  I'm afraid
the lack is ram is what is preventing me from enabling deinterlacing.

What is the cheapest deinterlacer to run with XV, and does anyone know
why XvMC would be worse?  XvMC uses less memory and CPU, but causes
audio buffer underruns.

Regards,

--
Mike Brancato, CISSP