[mythtv-users] Backend recording liveTV I don't watch

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 17 15:24:46 UTC 2008

mat at lessermatters.co.uk wrote:
>>> I just had a look at my log and did a grep on Recording Finished and got
>>> loads of stuff for today.
>>>
>>> So, I then logged onto my mythweb and check the live recordings and it
>>> was
>>> full of stuff. There's nobody home, so why is the system recording
>>> 'live'
>> You don't need to be at home for mythtv to record stuff.
>>
>> Presumably you or someone else left the system in 'Live TV' mode.
>> MythTV works by recording everything.  Previous Live TV recordings are
>> expired before anything else so you shouldn't lose any deliberate
>> recordings.
>>
> How would anybody have left it in Live TV mode? I mean, I watched Live TV
> for about 20 minutes last night, then switched off. Obviously the backend
> was still running. How would I switch off Live Tv mode?

This can happen if your frontend dies instead of shutting down cleanly. This
happened to me recently. I woke up the following day and found 13 hours of
programs I wasn't interested in had been recorded.

Solution - if your front-end dies and you notice it, bring it up again before
shutting down cleanly, so the backend knows what state everything is supposed to
be in. If you didn't notice the problem, you will have to try running it with a
bit more logging in order to find out what happened, so you can fix it.

And to the poster above who suggests you don't lose anything of value, yes, you
can, it happened in the incident above. In order to accommodate x hours of
LiveTV stuff *will* be expired to make room if there isn't enough. The only way
to be absolutely sure that nothing does is to turn off autoexpire globally, and
manually delete programs you are sure you don't want. I consider that to be a
bit of a heavy-handed approach to what is 'just' TV.

--

Mike Perkins