[mythtv-users] Creating specific rule for search program

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Fri Oct 17 14:33:23 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> I have a similar issue with my "Premier episodes" rule.  What I do is
> this:
>
> Edit the rule
> Go to program information
> Select "Show all episdoes matching this title" (not this rule)
> Select an episode that does not match (they should appear as
> white/non-recording color)
> This should start you setting up a new rule which will match all episodes
> of
> this show
>
> Since the new rule was created after the custom search, it will match all
> the episodes that the custom search doesn't.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose there are a few ways of setting up a new
rule like this, including finding the program in the Program Finder list
as well.

How about the situation where all the current program listings match, but
you want to take out an "insurance policy" rule to ensure that all future
programs would be recorded, regardless of whether the search matches or
not. In that situation, I wouldn't be able to find a non-matching episode
to set up the new rule on.

I don't have 100% confidence in the UK listings provider as they often get
things wrong, not in a big way, but in a way that is big enough to cause
program matching problems.

I'll give you one specific example of this. A while ago, after reading the
books for "Wire in the Blood" by Val McDermid, I wanted to set up a rule
that would record them when they came back on the TV. I knew that Hermione
Norris was one of the stars, so set up a People Search for her. However
she was only in the 1st 3 series, but not in series 4 onwards. It would
have been good to be able to easily set up a Title rule as soon as the
first episodes started repeating, but instead I had to either set up a
Record Search watching the title, or keep a close eye out and set up a
title rule once the non-matching programs came into the schedules.

Like I said, I'm aware this isn't an insurmountable problem, it just
strikes me it would be so much easier to set up a program rule when you
have an example of the program in front of you. I'm reminded of one of a
small number of useful features in MS Outlook - when creating a new mail
filter rule, you can use the values from the current mail as examples, and
simply pick and choose which values for From, To, CC etc. you want to use
to construct the new rule. It would be good to have an option like this
when you select a program in screens like Upcoming Recordings.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts