[mythtv-users] Upgrade risk assessment

michael bishop clever at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Oct 17 03:51:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 19:49 -0400, Scott Traurig wrote:
> Environment: ubuntu 7.10, mythtv 0.22 build 16578 (13 Mar 08)
>
> My "production machine", i.e. the machine that my wife will kick my ass if
> it doesn't remain completely stable, has recently ended 154 days of
> fabulously stable uptime and finally required a reboot.
>
> After the mandatory ass-kicking :-) I took advantage of the situation to, at
> no small risk, to apply the 100+ pending updates to ubuntu 7.10. As luck
> would have it everything appears to have turned out well.
>
> Now the million dollar question is: should I go ahead and let the Update
> Manager update the machine to ubuntu 8.04? I've heard that going to 8.04
> (Hardy) requires 0.22. The build of 0.22 I'm running pre-dates the QT4
> dependency. It would seem I'm in a good position to go forward.
>
> That said of course I am flirting with breaking the "If it ain't broke..."
> rule. Nevertheless does anyone have any experience or guidance with this
> transition? Your tales of success or failure would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

When I did my 7.10->8.04 upgrade, I lost ivtv and lirc(serial blaster)
to get things back up and running, i moved the capture card and blaster
to a system I hadnt upgraded yet, and that fixed it up:)

Only special stuff I have to do now is keep seperate build directorys
for 7.10 and 8.04 and remember to upgrade everything together.